Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Keto diet being one of the most talked diets, here is everything you need to know about keto diet.
We all want to stay fit or to lose that extra fat due to all the uncontrollable cravings for pizzas and burgers. You tried for a week and decided to quit because you did not find any magical results. Well, let me tell you something, no matter what you do in your life it takes time. Patience is the key.
What is Keto Diet?
Before we dive into the world of KETO, let’s just get the basics right.
The ketogenic diet is a low carb high fat diet wherein you consume more amounts of carbohydrates which turns your body into a fat-burning machine. This state of burning fat is called ketosis.
Okay, let me break it down for you.
Our body runs on two fuels: Glucose and Ketones.
All the carbohydrates that we consume are converted into glucose and that’s how we get energy from.
When we reduce the intake of carbohydrates and increase the intake of fats, the body produces certain molecules called “ketones“. This acts as an alternative fuel for the body in the absence of sugar (glucose). These ketones are produced in the liver from fats. The so formed ketones become the fuel for the entire body, including the brain. The brain being the hungry organ, it wants for more glucose or ketones. All the fat stored is converted into ketones, thus making our body- a fat burning machine.
Okay, now what do I get from this?
Benefits of Keto Diet:
- Weight Loss– If you are on a lookout for a drastic reduction in your body weight, then this is something you should take a try. In Ketosis as our body is converted into a fat burning machine, weight loss is an obvious result.
- Controlled Blood Sugar– As the intake of carbohydrates has been reduced drastically, which means the sugars levels will automatically be in control. It also has the ability to reverse type 2 diabetes. But, yes a personal suggestion: please consult your doctor before doing such strict diets.
- Mental Focus– Studies based on the ketosis results have shown that the mental health has improved to large scales. Due to a steady flow of ketones to the brain, there is no clogging or brain fog as such. Many people adopt ketogenic diet as the main motive to stay active physically and mentally.
- Increased energy and controlled hunger– As normally, when you consume fat the body feels satiated all the time. During ketosis, the ketones in the body keep you charged up all the time.
- Acne– When the body is in Ketosis, it is quite natural to see improvements in your skin.
Who should not do keto?
I strongly recommend you to consult a doctor before hooking up this diet. If you are having any of these issues, or otherwise consult a doctor.
- You are on a medication for blood pressure.
- You are having diabetes.
- You are on breastfeeding.
What should you eat?
If you are planning to start Keto, you should probably know what are the foods you should consume and which you should not. With Keto, the key is to lower your carbs as much as possible for better results. The lower the carbs, higher the effectiveness.
- Meat, oil and cheese
- Fish and Seafood
- Nuts and Seeds
- Avocado and Berries
- Natural Fats
- Vegetables that grow above ground
Do not eat:
Always remember to include lots of Meat and good edible oils in your daily meals. If you are non-vegetarian, eat lots of Chicken, fish and seafood as it adds to a lot of fat and protein content. Eggs are a huge source of protein and fat which definitely helps in the process of Ketosis. In case you are a vegetarian, you can always pounce on nuts and seeds, avocado and berries and lots of natural fats. Have lots of vegetables that grow above the ground like spinach, lettuce, avocado, olives, tomatoes, asparagus and cucumbers.
What a day on a keto diet looks like…
Vegetarian: Stir-fried Greens which include broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, spinach and some garlic.
Non-vegetarian: Start off your day with loads of protein, have omelettes with smashed mushrooms on the top. You can also include chicken if you are a non-vegetarian.
Vegetarian: You can make a meal with all the chopped bell peppers, fried with some butter and topped with lots of paneers. For taste, you can add some salt and chilli flakes to give you the yum taste.
Non-vegetarian: Grilled fish with not too much of extra virgin olive oil which adds up to 520 calories.
Vegetarian: You can have a protein shake with your favourite flavour or a bowl of spinach with nuts and avocados topped up with chilli flakes and salt to taste.
Non-vegetarian: Mutton kababs can be your best friend during this time of the day. But make sure you do not have more than 250 calories.
Vegetarian: You can have a spinach-paneer soup. All you need to do is grind spinach leaves with the appropriate amount of water for the required consistency. Now boil this with salt as much as you would like with a good amount of grated paneer or cheese.
Non-vegetarian: 100 to 150 grams of Fried chicken with a bit of oil and topped with your favourite spices will go great for dinner. Make sure this is your last meal of the day.
On a keto diet, you will be having 70% fats, 25% protein and 5% carbohydrates which means you will be cutting down your carbs completely (5% is negligible).
Drawbacks of Keto Diet:
- Since your body has been running on sugars for years, it is difficult for the body to accept this change and generate a cellular machinery to burn fat. This is because the body is undergoing a change for the first time and it really does not know how to burn fat. So during the initial phase where your body is getting to adapt to this change, many people go through hypoglycemia, depression, brain fog, dizziness, dullness, irritability and intense hunger.
- Keto diet being a Low Carb High Fat diet, it isn’t easy to continue it for a lifetime. It is a strict diet and at some point of time, you will have to stop it after you reach goals and resume to your normal everyday diet. There are chances of gaining weight during this time. So if your goal was to lose weight in the beginning, maybe when you resume back to your normal diet you might end up gaining weight.
- Also, if you have attempted Keto diet before for losing weight and you want to go for it again, you probably may not get the weight loss results that you expected.
- Since you are cutting down all the carbs and there are no fibres, fruits or cereals in your system, this results in constipation, weakness and low blood pressure.
Things to remember before opting for Keto Diet:
- Consult a doctor.
- Drink loads of water to stay hydrated.
- Have a check on your calorie intake.
- Approach a dietician or a nutritionist before starting Keto diet.
I hope you found everything that you wanted to know about the keto diet before you go for it. Let me know in the comments below what else do you guys want me to come up with.
Thank you loves,